Monday, January 5, 2009

Typical Monday

Today is a typical Monday. The work is piled high. In fact, it's so busy in shipping that all of the people in my department are there helping out. Meanwhile, our work is sitting undone, which is not helping our department service objectives any. We'll just have to do the best we can the rest of the week to catch up.

The weekend was pretty nice. I took Cortez to the vet early on Saturday morning. When I got home I found that Bosco was mad at me for not taking him with me, too. I knew this because he left "turds of vengance" on the living room carpet for me to clean up. After that I took my filthy car to get it washed and ran a few other errands. I spent the rest of the day napping and watching television. In the evening I went to see the movie Slum Dog Millionare. It was a very good movie, and I recommend it highly. After I came home I watched a little more TV, then went to bed and read a book for a while before falling asleep.

On Sunday I slept in until about 1:00 PM. Then I got up and went to the gym for a workout. I was surprised by how quickly the time went. When I got home I showered and got ready to go to the ex's for dinner with her and the kids. We had a good meal mainly consisting of A1 burgers, beans, zuchini and potato salad, which I hate- I can't stomach mayo and I'm alergic to eggs. Then we played a few exciting games of Buzzword. It's a pretty fast-paced game and is a lot of fun. After I got home from there I got ready for bed and finished reading the book that I have been reading.

The book I have been reading is pretty interesting. It is old, and as far as I know has been out of print since about 1927. It is titled Archy and Mehitabel, by Don Marquis. It is a book of poetry, of sorts. The idea is this: Don Marquis is a newspaper columnist. Archy is Shakesphere, reincarnated as a cockroach. When Marquis leaves work each evening, he leaves a blank page in the typewriter, and Archy types out stories, theories and philosophy as mostly free form poetry by jumping from key to key. Obviously he cannot work the shift key, so there is no punctuation to the writings. The subject of much of Archy's writings is his close friend Mehitabel, a promiscuous, hard-luck alley cat who believes herself to have once been Cleopatra, among other grande dames. The book is illustrated by George Herriman, the creater of the old comic strip Krazy Kat. I got the book from my step-father, who aquired it in college in the early 60s. Where he got it I don't know. I suppose you might be able to find a copy on Ebay.

Well, back to work. There is plenty to do and the evening is already starting to go quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment