Friday, January 9, 2009

Lunch Of Champions

Today I feel very much
like a ham and cheese sandwich.
It’s tasty but a little sloppy-
The meat is sliced thin and hangs off the sides.
The rye seeds fall off the bread and onto the desk.
Besides the lettuce and the tomato slice,
it is as plain as the cellophane it’s wrapped in,
but it is also cool and filling.
It goes great with a soda and a bag of chips.
It could sustain you on a camping trip
or a trek through the forest.
It’s as all-American as it is average,
so be quiet now and eat.

4 comments:

  1. OK, you made me hungry. Happy now? lol. That was a great comparison/analogy. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like poems with food.

    I do not like rye seeds.

    So you see, I am torn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to go out and have a ham and cheese today on rye.

    ReplyDelete