Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Today was one of those days. For starters, I didn't sleep that well last night. In fact, I got up in the middle of the night and cleaned up my books, magazines and papers in the basement for an hour or so around 3:30 or 4:00. After that I went back to bed and fell asleep pretty quickly, but it was short-lived.

I woke up this morning at 6:45 AM, stark wide awake. I knew after a few minutes that I would not be able to fall back to sleep so I didn't fight it. I got up and went to the gym. I did three miles on the treadmill and almost five on the exercise bike. Afterwards I stopped and got a few things at the store. When I got home, I ate, played with the dogs, watched television, read some, and took a very short nap sitting up on the couch. Then I got showered and ready for work, and off I went.

It's another slow night tonight. We have enough work for about half the night. I just can't understand it. The transit reports show lots of shipments on the trains and in the rail yards. Why they aren't being released to us in a timely manner is a mystery. I'm sure I'll be offering employees half vacation days off again tonight.

I'm pretty annoyed with my boss and one of my coworkers right now. First my boss didn't furlough our temporary employees for the night because we got a couple of shipments in. He didn't look to see how big or small they were. He really should have and made the decison before I got in instead of waiting for me to discover it and do something about it myself.

Then, one of my fellow supervisors needed an extra person for a project, so he went to my boss and said that he was taking one of mine. He didn't ask me or my boss, or even talk to me about it. I found out about it thrid had from someone else when I went to assign that person a job for the night. Granted we are not real busy tonight, but it's the point of having a little professional courtesy. Then he was real smug about it when I raised the issue. I wanted to smack him in the mouth with a sock full of shit. It's not a big thing, but it really torqued me. Sometimes it's just the principle of the thing.

I noticed last night that I have written a lot of poetry in the last two months. I can't say to what I owe this burst of creativity, but I'm glad that it has been happening. My poetry group had a reading this coming Sunday afternoon for an organization called the Travelling Poets Society in Keyport, NJ, which is on the shore. So, yes, we will be travelling there. Since this will basically be a new audience for us I will read some of my older, better work. Things that have been published. I haven't picked out the exact pieces yet.

Well, I'm off to read some blogs now. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment