Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Mixed Bag Today

My illness is holding it's own pretty well today. I slept really well last night thanks to one of my Ambiens, but woke up totally stuffed up and my throat aching. I must have been breathing through my mouth all night, it was so dry. It is also raining and cold out, which doesn't help. It's almost as if the winter came back to kick ass one more time before it says good bye for the year. Good riddance, I say.

Well, the bad economic situation hit home again today. My sister was laid off from her job today. This, after getting promoted to manager just three months ago. She had been at this company for eight years. Her take-home pay was about half of the household income. That really, really hurts. I feel so bad for her and my brother-in-law, and there is nothing I can do to help. Again, I hope that we have hit bottom now.

I'm not looking forward to working on Saturday morning. As anyone who reads me often knows, I don't get home from work on Friday nights until around 1:00 AM. To have to turn around and get up at 5:30 to go back to work really sucks. I'll probably have to opt to nap on the couch or just stay up and save the sleeping for Saturday afternoon, or I may not make it. I'm just glad it's not a regular thing.

I managed to write three poems last night, so I am back to being caught up on the poem a day thing for National Poetry Month. And if I could whore myself a bit, I am the featured poet for the month in the fine on line poetry journal, Chantarelle's Notebook, which I am thrilled about. Just Google it if you are interested.

Well, back to work.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your sister. The economy is still shaky, and will take along time to get back to normal. I have reasons to believe my job may be phased out within the next 6 mons, to a year. Not good. Hope you feel better soon, and make it through Friday and Saturday. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I hope for you that you are wrong about your job. That would suck. I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me. I'd lose my house, my car, everything. I hate to even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we can all make it through, especially since we are not alone. We can be there for people even if we can't hand them money. I hope you get a good nap in when you get off work.

    ReplyDelete