Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Follow Up

This is a follow up to last night's post. Regarding my bipolar disorder, I have been doing very well for the past four years or so thanks to the therapy and the meds. I am, and have been, very stable. I successfully hold down a job as a manager of people, and overall function as a "normal" human being. I live a fairly regular life and as you can see from my posts, do fairly regular things with my life. I am lucky. I know people with this disorder that can't lead decent lives or are pretty much incapacitated by it.

I have been very lucky to have had the love and support of my friends and my family, excepting of course, my wife. It was a hard illness for my family to fathom. And I'm the last person they would have ever imagined having something like this.

What really keeps my head afloat is not letting the disease (and it is a disease like any other) define me. I am not bipolar. I have bipolar disorder, and there is a difference. I've learned that I am not broken or a freak. I am a human being with an illness of the brain. That's all.

Yes, the meds have changed my personality. I used to be very upbeat, extremely talkative, and the class clown and practical joker, always screaming for attention. Now I am more quiet, subdued. I tend to listen more than talk. I am mild and very laid back. A very good friend has described this me as a "placid pond".

Every morning that I can raise my head off the pillow is a good thing, and I always find something to happy about, something to laugh about, and something to be thankful for, every day.

2 comments:

  1. Let me just say I have a few friends who have bipolar disorder. All of them are brilliant in several ways and most of them are very successful. I find this to be common among the folks who have the illness.

    I suffer from mild depression and have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I totally get it.

    No worries. This is exactly the reason I write my journal. Shrink recommended although I *Really* hate mine being personal/away from my family. It is part of the therapy. I never dreamed I would make so many nice friends in this cyber journal.

    I remember reading you at the very beginning and have always known this about you. You have done very well. My post yesterday was a result of reading about your marital issues...

    I'm your friend.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm very glad that you are.

    I too started journaling as psychologist-recommended therapy. It definately does help.

    ReplyDelete